
What Is Your Doritos?
Last summer I went to the beach with my family and a group of friends. We sat down couple of rows away from the water. After a while the kids including my son, David, who was five at the time, moved closer to the water to dig a hole and build a sand castle.
I approached the kids with a bag of Doritos in my hand admiring the work, and they asked me for some Doritos. Since their hands were covered with sand, I had fun feeding them. Few minutes later I walked back to join the grownups. When I sat down I looked back toward the kids and noticed that David was not there. When I shared my concern with the group, we all got up and frantically started to look for the kid.
The minutes moved by slowly as I felt my heart falling down into my stomach. His whole life passed quickly through my mind like a commemoration for a legend. Desperately we report the missing child to the lifeguards who signaled to the lifeguards at the adjacent beaches.
Few minutes later, which felt like eternity, a lifeguard from next beach showed up carrying David in his arms. After a sigh of relief I asked David, trying hard to conceal my anxiety,” What happened?“ He calmly answered,“I was looking for more Doritos.”
When I reflect on the story I realize that I often do the same thing. I feel a need for something (Doritos) – sometimes legitimate, sometimes not. Without contemplating how to get it or the risk involved, I just start moving without directions or a plan. Soon after, I found myself lost - away from my Father and my family.
Sin is like that. We feel a desperate need for something; we pursue it outside God’s plan and directions. Soon we find ourselves lost. So before that urge hits, it's good to ask yourself, what is my Doritos?


2 Comments:
Bravo! This would make an excellent sermon illustration.
And the tricky thing is how innocent Doritos seem...
Post a Comment
<< Home